The Forest Cemetery Association was established in August of 1860 in Oskaloosa, Iowa. A committee of prominent men in the community formed the Articles of Corporation and appointed a board. It started with 20 acres and has since grown to 80 acres – 60 have been developed and there are still 20 acres in reserve.
Forest Cemetery is a non-profit corporation, governed by Board of Directors consisting of 5 board members. It is a lot owner’s cemetery, which means everyone that owns a lot can attend the annual board meetings.
Forest Cemetery became a Perpetual Care Cemetery in 1925. This means that 20% of the sale of each lot goes into a fund which can never be used; however the interest from this fund is used to maintain the cemetery.
We offer both full burials and the burial of cremated remains. Our cemetery is divided into bronze sections and granite sections and we design and sell memorials for both. We sell and install memorials anywhere within a 50 mile radius of Oskaloosa. We can also provide the final death dates, whether a bronze scroll or lettering on a granite memorial. We offer genealogy information, including maps, upon request. You can view our burial records by the “Search” box on the Burial Records page.