It was built in 1890 to be used to store bodies in the winter when it was too cold and the ground was too hard to dig graves. It was torn down in 1950 after it was damaged in a wind storm.
Samuel A. Rice Memorial
This monument was erected in honor of Brigadier General Rice by members of the 29th and 33rd Regiments Iowa Volunteer Infantry for their Commander who died of wounds received in battle.
This was built as a memorial to James McAuley, an Irish railroad employee. It contained a chapel with an altar to be used by the public for funerals.
Sec. 24 and 25
These sections were formerly known as "P.E.O.Circle". This fountain was built in 1888 and given to Forest Cemetery by the original P.E.O. Chapter D which was first organized in Oskaloosa in 1873.
Side view of McAuley Chapell
McAuley Chapel right inside the 9th Street entrance and was actually attached to the entrance.
Forest Abbey Mausoleum
The Mauloleum was built in 1914. It was not owned by Forest Cemetery but by all those who owned a crypt. It was torn down in 1965 due to disrepair and all the remaining bodies were buried elsewhere in the cemetery.